Tuesday 17 July 2012

Swimming : legless and blind


I would like to say that I go swimming in crystal clean waters teeming with colourful marine life and refreshing cool swells on a weekly bases, sadly that is not the case. The waters surrounding the atoll of Tarawa are lovely to look at, the lagoons stillness and colours can take your breath way and the ocean can be very powerful and dominating.
An atoll such as Tarawa is created by coral growing along the slopes of a sinking old oceanic volcano. Basically sands collect on the shallow reef  (the rim of the old volcano) that sits about sea level, seeds blow in and over time a impressionable ring of flat, narrow islands of sand, coral and some trees (in this case mostly coconut) all surround a shallow lagoon. Tarawa gets some protection from the erosive action of open ocean waves by an outer reef.

There are quite few such atolls sitting in the pacific, Kiribati has 33 but only 8 of them are populated and Tarawa is the most populated taking the title of being “the most densely populated piece of land in the world”.


 Welcome to Tarawa - East to West is South Tarawa, North to South is North Tarawa
 
Surrounded by water unfortunately does not mean swimming. The population and lack of sanitation sees the lagoon being the bathhouse for over 45,000 people and Westerns are advised not to swim in it while the reef on the ocean side drops off several 100 meters and posing a dumped or suffering from coral cuts at least.

Opportunities to get away and swim are grabbed quickly. My most recent adventure was with the people from my work who were hosting a couple of visitors from Australia. So into a truck went the wheel chairs, eskies, rice bags carrying everything and anything and about 25 people including babies, those who are blind, have artificial legs, able bodied or covered in sun screen (the 3 westerners). After renegotiating the pick up time (it was Saturday and 6am is a bit too early in my books!) off we set along the increasingly pot holed road to meet a boat and venture to Broken Bridge on North Tarawa. (a road bridge that has been broken for  some years, the story is that government couldn’t find the funds of $10,000 or the willingness  to fix it !) The bridge joins two smaller atolls and has water coming from the ocean into the lagoon, lovely fresh, cool clean water with the added excitement of jumping from the bridge and floating along.

I have only been to one water based Kiribati picnic before and I thought that was a treat, this one had it all. Women set about weaving mats for the picnic rugs, setting up a camp kitchen for preparing chicken and cooking rice while the men climbed coconut trees for fresh drinks, and more palm fronds. Then out come the crème le crème of entertaining cooking utilities, this was a real BBQ.    



 The hands and beautiful work of a young blind women making a picnic mat

Locals don’t seem to worry about the effect of the searing sun here and swimwear along with any other clothing range do not exist. Lava lavas (like a sarong) and a tee shirt are the universal apparel for all occasions, swimming is no exception. With domestic duties accomplished and BBQ kings cooking and keeping the coconut husks burning it’s time to take to the water and explore the bridge. Artificial limbs and walking aids are left to hold themselves against a tree, blind people tag onto a person ahead and it’s into the briny we go. The kids quickly use any person taller than themselves as a human floaty and we all lull about in the aquatic playground. I can only imagine the range of feelings and senses that change for a blind person or someone not having to bare the weight of an introduced limb when they take to this activity. The fresh water was offering me a new freedom, the joy and smiles on the faces of others seemed to suggest the same. 


The Kiribati BBQ (carried on site by a boat and a truck)
 
Swimming, eating, laughing, singing, a batch of anzac biscuits and a few speeches made up the program.  The BBQ and feast served us well, a quick shower of rain washed the pots, another swim and it’s time to board the boats and skim the lagoon back home.
Forget money hungry cruises and tiresome schedules this was real Kiribati hospitality and a treat to be part of.


UP NEXT : It’s relationship territory 

1 comment:

Emilio Fernandez said...

Good morning how are you?

My name is Emilio, I am a Spanish boy and I live in a town near to Madrid. I am a very interested person in knowing things so different as the culture, the way of life of the inhabitants of our planet, the fauna, the flora, and the landscapes of all the countries of the world etc. in summary, I am a person that enjoys traveling, learning and respecting people's diversity from all over the world.

I would love to travel and meet in person all the aspects above mentioned, but unfortunately as this is very expensive and my purchasing power is quite small, so I devised a way to travel with the imagination in every corner of our planet. A few years ago I started a collection of used stamps because trough them, you can see pictures about fauna, flora, monuments, landscapes etc. from all the countries. As every day is more and more difficult to get stamps, some years ago I started a new collection in order to get traditional letters addressed to me in which my goal was to get at least 1 letter from each country in the world. This modest goal is feasible to reach in the most part of countries, but unfortunately it’s impossible to achieve in other various territories for several reasons, either because they are countries at war, either because they are countries with extreme poverty or because for whatever reason the postal system is not functioning properly.

For all this I would ask you one small favor:
Would you be so kind as to send me a letter by traditional mail from Kiribati? I understand perfectly that you think that your blog is not the appropriate place to ask this, and even, is very probably that you ignore my letter, but I would call your attention to the difficulty involved in getting a letter from that country, and also I don’t know anyone neither where to write in Kiribati in order to increase my collection. a letter for me is like a little souvenir, like if I have had visited that territory with my imagination and at same time, the arrival of the letters from a country is a sign of peace and normality and an original way to promote a country in the world. My postal address is the following one:

Emilio Fernandez Esteban
Calle Valencia,39
28903 Getafe (Madrid)
Spain

If you wish, you can visit my blog www.cartasenmibuzon.blogspot.com where you can see the pictures of all the letters that I have received from whole World.

Finally I would like to thank the attention given to this letter, and whether you can help me or not, I send my best wishes for peace, health and happiness for you, your family and all your dear beings.

Yours Sincerely

Emilio Fernandez